Friday, February 16, 2018

Otter's 2017 Movies

Once again, I failed to go to many movies in the year 2017. I only saw five of these in an actual theater - the rest were viewed on streaming or over a very long flight to Asia.

Without futher ado, here is my typically brief set of rankings:

9. Beauty and the Beast
The original is beautiful and perfect, and I will hear no criticisms (what Stockholm syndrome?) I have as much affinity for Emma Watson as the next Hermione wanna-be, but this movie didn't need to exist.

8. The Lego Batman Movie
Not as good as The Lego Movie, but still pretty cute.

7. Logan
Not all superhero movies need to be "dark and gritty", but this is about as good of an example of the form as there is.

6. The Last Jedi
This ranking probably suffers from overhyped expectations - I expected it to be almost as good as The Empire Strikes Back, and it wasn't. Also, despite the fact that I know they were engineered to manipulate me into buying toys, I really want a porg.

5. The Post
Seth Meyers did an excellent parody of this genre, complete with payphones, cigarettes, and an imposing figure saying "run it." Even though I knew what was coming due to a combination of genre tropes and the actual history, it's just fun to see Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks play off each other.

4. Wonder Woman
My office paid for a group of us to go see this movie for reasons I have yet to understand. Still, it was a delightful way to spend an afternoon, and dare I say I felt empowered (ugh) as I left the movie.

3. Get Out
As a champion re-reader, I tend to get just as much enjoyment out of entertainment that I've spoiled for myself as I do going in blind. This is one case where I'm actually mad at myself for knowing (SPOILER) Allison Williams's motivations. Still, this movie works so well as a thriller and dissection of race relations in American that I would have enjoyed it immensely no matter what.

2. The Big Sick
I will never stop defending rom-coms, but movies like this make it a lot easier. Charming movie filled with excellent performances, especially Zoe Kazan, who is able to make her presence missed despite spending half the movie in a coma.

1. Lady Bird
This movie hit me. I remember having the same arguments beat-for-beat with my mother and the longing to leave my hometown forever, and yet this movie never resorts to the cliches I've already resorted to in this sentence. I saw it a few weeks ago and can't wait to watch it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment