Friday, January 11, 2019

Dactyl's 2018 Movie Roundup

I swore I didn't have time to do this, but now it's 2 hours later and here we are.

26. The Holiday Calendar

The pathetic dialogue almost distracted me from her brother-like love interest's little hair braids.  I did not finish this movie.

25. Annihilation

This synopsis sounded so cool on paper (a team of badass women scientists venture out to find Oscar Isaac!) but the movie itself was just wholly unenjoyable.

23. Avengers: Infinity War

Was not compelled by Thanos.  100% buying a ticket to see part 2.  Dammit, Marvel.

22. Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Sincerest apologies to Mr. Rogers, but I dozed off for a bit in the middle.

22. The Incredibles 2

Probably would not have seen this if I didn't have MoviePass.

21. Set It Up

Zoey Deutch and Lucy Liu were luminous.  Glen Powell and Taye Diggs played morons who didn't deserve them.  Also--I'll say it--that pizza looked gross.  For shame, fake-movie NYC.

20. Ocean's 8

Sadly not super memorable considering the cast, but I always give bonus points for Cate Blanchett's cheekbones.

19. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Aww, they fell in love through books.

18. A Simple Favor

Absurd and highly entertaining.

17. Widows

I think I would've enjoyed this more if I hadn't gone in expecting gravitas, but still a very decent action movie.

16. To All the Boys I've Loved Before

I ranked this movie #16.  If I were 16, it would be #1.  But now it kinda makes me feel old.  Definitely a fun addition to the high school rom com canon though.

15. If Beale Street Could Talk

It didn't capture the magic of Moonlight, but it's still beautifully shot.

14. Mary Queen of Scots

I'm biased because Saoirse is always queen in my book.

13. The Princess Switch 

This is everything I want from Netflix.  Kudos to Vanessa Hudgens for selling it.

12. Bohemian Rhapsody

A by-the-numbers biopic, but must-see for the music and Rami Malek's performance.

11. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Bye everyone, gotta go escape to a Greek island and never look back.

10. Love, Simon

Man I really liked this.  Greg Berlanti gets me.

9. Mission: Impossible - Fallout

I don't know how but these MI movies are just consistently great.

8. The Favourite

"Look at me.  Look at me.  HOW DARE YOU.  CLOSE YOUR EYES."

7. On the Basis of Sex

The second-best RBG movie of the year.

6. Searching

A compelling, poignant story #starringJohnCho.

5. RBG

Inspiring, empowering, and just a little bit awkward.  Love you, RBG.

4. A Star Is Born

Simultaneously epic and intimate.  Lady Gaga blew me away. 

3. A Quiet Place

Such a creative concept, beautifully executed.

2. Black Panther

Brilliant in every aspect and worthy of a Best Picture win.  That upside-down shot of Michael B. Jordan entering the throne room is already iconic.  Wakanda forever!

1. Crazy Rich Asians

I could write an essay about how much this movie means to me, so I'll just say this: This was the first time I saw a mainstream movie character embody what it means to be Asian American.  Not Asian, not ethnically-neutral American, but specifically Asian American.  And to see Constance Wu radiate such warmth, empathy, and humanity for those of us so often portrayed as cold, calculating, or cartoonish---I cried buckets.

No comments:

Post a Comment