Friday, January 5, 2018

2018 Golden Globe Predictions

FILM

Best Motion Picture - Drama
"Call Me by Your Name"
"Dunkirk"
"The Post"
"The Shape of Water"
"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"

Will Win:
Alicia: The Shape of Water. I hated this movie, but I can see it playing well with the international-minded HFPA.
Doris: I haven’t seen any of these but I’m thinking The Post because hello, America’s sweethearts Meryl Streep and T. Hanks?

Should Win:
Alicia: Call Me by Your Name. Just a brilliant film that hits you straight in the heart.
Doris: Agreed - this is the one I want to see most!

Snubbed:
Alicia: If the PGA can recognize Wonder Woman, the HFPA needs to step up their game.
Doris: I heard The Florida Project was great. Also Mudbound.
Alicia: Ooh, yes, I need to see both of those. Although Mudbound is on Netflix and I still haven’t watched it, so it’s probably not happening haha.

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
"The Disaster Artist"
"Get Out"
"The Greatest Showman"
"I, Tonya"
"Lady Bird"

Will Win:
Alicia: Lady Bird! A perfect film. I can’t believe this is Greta Gerwig’s directorial debut; I think it’s impeccable.
Doris: Although I haven’t seen it yet (I’m truly the worst), Lady Bird has received the most hype, which I am sure is well-deserved.
Alicia: WHY ARE YOU WRITING THIS GO SEE LADY BIRD.

Should Win:
Alicia: Lady Bird, although I would only be slightly upset if Get Out took this.
Doris: Agreed.

Snubbed:
Alicia: Definitely The Big Sick. I would have had this above I, Tonya and The Greatest Showman (and possibly The Disaster Artist, which I have yet to see).
Doris: As seen in my 2017 movie roundup, I too loved The Big Sick and am pissed about its complete omission from these nominations. Also, I would’ve thought the highly hyped Girls Trip would be more likely to get a nom than The Disaster Artist or The Greatest Showman.
Alicia: I know The Greatest Showman doesn’t belong here, but I loved it. More happy Hugh Jackman movies, please.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Jessica Chastain, "Molly's Game"
Sally Hawkins, "The Shape of Water"
Frances McDormand, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
Meryl Streep, "The Post"
Michelle Williams, "All the Money in the World"

Will Win:
Alicia: Frances McDormand. She’s spectacular in Three Billboards, even though the movie wasn’t my favorite.
Doris: I’m going to go with heavyweight Meryl Streep just to be contrary.

Should Win:
Alicia: Frances McDormand, but I wouldn’t count out Sally Hawkins.
Doris: I haven’t seen any of these… why am I even writing this? Because I’m a dick I’d like to see someone other than Meryl win.
Kristy: Sally Hawkins was one of the few things I really liked about Shape of Water.  Also she deserves this for believably being in love with the fish monster.  I will say caveat that I haven’t seen Three Billboards and I do hear that McDormand is fantastic.  

Snubbed:
Doris: Alicia, write something so I can copy you.
Alicia: Um, Emma Stone? J-Law? Who are the usual suspects here? Fuck it, I’m going with our goddess and savior Gal Gadot.
Doris: I LOVE her. (P.S., Emma Stone is nominated in the Comedy category.)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Timothée Chalamet, "Call Me by Your Name"
Daniel Day-Lewis, "Phantom Thread"
Tom Hanks, "The Post"
Gary Oldman, "Darkest Hour"
Denzel Washington, "Roman J. Israel, Esq."

Will Win:
Alicia: Timothée Chalamet, because I believe in sunshine and rainbows and happy things (but really, adorable white men).
Doris: Who is the oldest and whitest person on this list? Actually, I’m going to throw down a wild card and say Denzel Washington (who is the oldest at 63).
Kristy: Gary Oldman.  He’s got a long history, he’s a Big Name, and it’s a buzzy role.  

Should Win:
Alicia: Seriously though, Timothée Chalamet’s performance is one of my favorite ever. In any movie, in any year.
Doris: Same pick. It’s always fun to see ingenues awarded.
Kristy: Agreed.  He makes that movie.

Snubbed:
Alicia: This has been a thin year for extraordinary leading men.
Doris: Harris Dickinson was amazing in the indie Beach Rats, not that I expect anyone to be aware of it.

Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Judi Dench, "Victoria & Abdul"
Margot Robbie, "I, Tonya"
Saoirse Ronan, "Lady Bird"
Emma Stone, "Battle of the Sexes"
Helen Mirren, "The Leisure Seeker"

Will Win:
Doris: It’s got to be Saoirse Ronan, right? Although Margot Robbie could steal it.
Alicia: Agreed, definitely Saoirse Ronan.

Should Win:
Doris: I am really angling for a win for Saoirse Ronan and not Margot Robbie.
Alicia: I agree. Margot Robbie was good, but you always get the sense that she’s acting. Saoirse is such a natural; there’s a reason some people are starting to dub her a mini-Meryl.

Snubbed:
Doris: Zoe Kazan for The Big Sick!
Alicia: Always endless love for The Big Sick.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Steve Carell, "Battle of the Sexes"
Ansel Elgort, "Baby Driver"
James Franco, "The Disaster Artist"
Hugh Jackman, "The Greatest Showman"
Daniel Kaluuya, "Get Out"

Will Win:
Doris: Maybe this is my heart talking over my head but I think Daniel Kaluuya can win this.
Alicia: I would love for Daniel Kaluuya to take this, but I think James Franco will probably win.
Kristy: James Franco.  I feel like it’s his to lose based on the fact that there’s so much buzz and he’s the type they’d go for.  

Should Win:
Doris: Daniel Kaluuya. (Am I just rooting for all the POCs?)
Alicia: Daniel Kaluuya was the best though! Although shout-out to Ansel Elgort for convincing me that he actually can act.

Snubbed:
Doris: Kumail Nanjiani in The Big Sick! Yes, I’m a broken record.
Alicia: Kumail really was robbed. Gonna go read his Twitter feed to make myself feel better.

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Mary J. Blige, "Mudbound"
Hong Chau, "Downsizing"
Allison Janney, "I, Tonya"
Laurie Metcalf, "Lady Bird"
Octavia Spencer, "The Shape of Water"

Will Win:
Doris: Allison Janney is usually a safe bet because she wins everything. On a side note, I’m impressed by the relative diversity of this category.
Alicia: Based on their characters, I’m actually going to pick Laurie Metcalf over Allison Janney here. Her role is Lady Bird is so well-rounded and beautifully realized; Allison’s is good but more one-note.
Kristy: I’m really torn.  I’ll give the slight tip to Janney because everyone loves her and her role is more extreme.

Should Win:
Doris: I heard Laurie Metcalf had a great performance.
Alicia: She did. Laurie Metcalf for the Oscar, no matter what happens here.
Kristy: Justice would say that Laurie should win.

Snubbed:
Doris: Tiffany Haddish has gotten a lot of hype for Girls Trip, yet no dice.
Alicia: I just want to hear a Tiffany Haddish acceptance speech.

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Willem Dafoe, "The Florida Project"
Armie Hammer, "Call Me by Your Name"
Richard Jenkins, "The Shape of Water"
Christopher Plummer, "All the Money in the World"
Sam Rockwell, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"

Will Win:
Doris: Christopher Plummer, who shot all his scenes in what, 10 days? What a badass.
Alicia: Same. I think Sam Rockwell and Willem Dafoe have a shot as well, but the Globes love trendy things, and a win by Plummer would certainly make a statement for the #MeToo movement.

Should Win:
Doris: Since I haven’t watched any of these movies, I wouldn’t be upset by any of these.
Alicia: Of the ones I’ve seen, I’d probably go with Sam Rockwell. But the other 2 favorites are Willem Dafoe and Christopher Plummer, so I don’t feel qualified to call this until I see their movies.

Snubbed:
Doris: Um, teen heartthrob Harry Styles in Dunkirk, amirite?! Jk, jk. Idk.
Alicia: Michael Stuhlbarg in Call Me by Your Name. His final scene would be worthy of the win here.
Kristy: Agreed he was brilliant.  As much as Timothée is the best part of that movie, if I were to pick just one scene from that movie it would be his speech.

Best Director
Guillermo del Toro, "The Shape of Water"
Martin McDonagh, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
Christopher Nolan, "Dunkirk"
Ridley Scott, "All The Money in the World"
Steven Spielberg, "The Post"

Will Win:
Doris: I’m thinking Christopher Nolan for a big showy movie, even if it did come out earlier last year.
Alicia: I would love for Nolan to finally get some major awards love, but I think they’ll go for Guillermo del Toro this year.
Kristy: Yes between those two.  Based on timing I’ll go del Toro.  Dunkirk was released too early and Shape of Water was racking up acclaim when they were voting on this.

Should Win:
Doris: I really don’t care which of these pale men wins. (See below.)
Alicia: Yeah, I was going to write Greta Gerwig here before I realized that she wasn’t nominated. Seriously, what the fuck. Given my paltry options, I guess I’ll go with Christopher Nolan. But come on, this is shameful.

Snubbed:
Doris: Where the flying fuck is Greta Gerwig’s nomination?! That’s sexism for you: she directed the highest rated movie ever (or at least for a time) on Rotten Tomatoes and girl still can’t score a dumb Golden Globe nom. Also, no Jordan Peele? Come on.
Alicia: Greta Gerwig, who deserves to win. Jordan Peele, because his movie is genius. Patty Jenkins, for doing the impossible. I don’t understand how Ridley Scott and Spielberg got in over them this year.

Best Screenplay in a Motion Picture
"The Shape of Water," Guillermo del Toro & Vanessa Taylor
"Lady Bird," Greta Gerwig
"The Post," Liz Hannah and Josh Singer
"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri," Martin McDonagh
"Molly's Game," Aaron Sorkin

Will Win:
Doris: Probs Aaron Sorkin, a promising rising star who came out of nowhere to deliver his brilliant debut script. Jk.
Alicia: Hahaha I love Sorkin, but his stuff is like 50% brilliance, 50% bullshit. I actually think Greta Gerwig could win here, but it’s a toss-up between her and Martin McDonagh.

Should Win:
Doris: Lady Bird. I’m determined for Greta Gerwig to get something.
Alicia: Same. Every line in Lady Bird is perfection.

Snubbed:
Doris: Maybe Get Out written by Jordan Peele?
Alicia: This category is weird—I guess it combines original and adapted screenplays? I agree about Jordan Peele, and I would also throw in James Ivory’s adapted script for CMBYN.

Best Animated Film
"The Boss Baby"
"The Breadwinner"
"Ferdinand"
"Coco"
"Loving Vincent"

Will Win / Should Win:
Doris: Coco probably should and will win.
Alicia: Real people > animation. There, I said it.

TV

Best TV series - Drama
"The Crown"
"Game of Thrones"
"The Handmaid's Tale"
"Stranger Things"
"This Is Us"

Will Win:
Alicia: Oh no, we’ve moved to prestige television, my kryptonite. The only one I’ve seen all the way through is Thrones, but I thought this latest season was mediocre. I’m going with Emmy winner The Handmaid’s Tale.
Doris: Agreed. I’ve heard the hype. I’ve been awake.

Should Win:
Alicia: In this political climate, I’m all for showering love on The Handmaid’s Tale.
Doris: Same.

Snubbed:
Alicia: I wouldn’t know.
Doris: Dramas don’t interest me. Pass.

Best performance by Actress in a TV series - Drama
Caitriona Balfe, "Outlander"
Claire Foy, "The Crown"
Maggie Gyllenhaal, "The Deuce"
Katherine Langford, "13 Reasons Why"
Elisabeth Moss, "The Handmaid's Tale"

Will Win:
Doris: Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss.
Alicia: Ditto.
Kristy: Outside chance to Claire Foy.  Netflix had impeccable timing on dropping that season.

Should Win:
Doris: Probs Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss.
Alicia: Ditto.

Snubbed:
Doris: Usual suspects Viola Davis and Robin Wright.
Alicia: How did the girl from 13 Reasons Why get in over Viola and Robin? Anyway, I really like Mandy Moore in This Is Us; she’s always had a warm quality, but she really shines on that show.

Best performance by an Actor in a TV Series - Drama
Sterling K. Brown, "This is Us"
Freddie Highmore, "The Good Doctor"
Bob Odenkirk, "Better Call Saul"
Liev Schreiber, "Ray Donovan"
Jason Bateman, "Ozark"

Will Win:
Doris: Emmy winner Sterling K. Brown.
Alicia: I’m gonna pick Freddie Highmore, just to be annoying.

Should Win:
Doris: Probs Emmy winner Sterling K. Brown.
Alicia: Yup.

Snubbed:
Doris: Milo Ventimiglia, better known as older, more buff, bearded Jess.
Alicia: I’ll take any excuse to see Milo in a tux.

Best TV series - Musical or Comedy
"Black-ish"
"Marvelous Mrs. Maisel"
"Master of None"
"SMILF"
"Will & Grace"

Will Win:
Doris: Finally, something I’ve actually seen! I’m going to go with Master of None which was brilliant and moving in its second season.
Alicia: Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is exactly the kind of show that the HPFA loves---bright and shiny and new.
Kristy: Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with outside chance to Will & Grace.  That was critically and commercially acclaimed and HFPA probably loves them.

Should Win:
Doris: Sticking with Master of None. If you haven’t watched Lena Waithe’s Emmy-winning Thanksgiving episode yet, you are missing out big time.
Alicia: I’ve seen half of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It was good.

Snubbed:
Doris: Modern Family. HA I crack myself up. I’m surprised The Good Place, Veep, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend didn’t get nominated, but a show I’ve never heard of (SMILF?) did.
Alicia: The Good Place is fantastic; it should get more love.
Kristy: All the love for Mike Schur shows.  Brooklyn Nine Nine also had some great timely stuff this year.  And Crazy Ex-Girlfriend probably also belongs here.  

Best performance by an Actor in a TV series - Musical or Comedy
Anthony Anderson, "Black-ish"
Aziz Ansari, "Master of None"
Kevin Bacon, "I Love Dick"
William H. Macy, "Shameless"
Eric McCormack, "Will and Grace"

Will Win:
Doris: Folks love Kevin Bacon, and I actually did watch the Amazon Prime series he was in.
Alicia: Haven’t the foggiest. How about Anthony Anderson?
Kristy: I’m gonna say Eric McCormack.  For the same reasoning I gave that show the outside chance above.  

Should Win:
Doris: Going with Aziz. Even though he’s more impressive as a writer, director, etc., he deserves the love.
Alicia: I loved Aziz’s book, so I’ll go with him as well.

Snubbed:
Doris: My mind is drawing a blank right now.
Alicia: This is so much pressure I can’t think of anyone.

Best performance by an Actress in a TV series - Musical or Comedy
Pamela Adlon, "Better Things"
Alison Brie, "Glow"
Issa Rae, "Insecure"
Rachel Brosnahan, "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel"
Frankie Shaw, "SMILF"

Will Win:
Doris: I don’t even know who the first and last nominees are. I’ll say Issa Rae.
Alicia: Rachel Brosnahan. I’m willing to bet one whole dollar.
Kristy: I wouldn’t take that bet.  Rachel Brosnahan.

Should Win:
Doris: As much as I liked Rachel Brosnahan on Amy Sherman-Palladino’s new show, Issa Rae is pretty cool.
Alicia: Rachel Brosnahan is pretty impressive, especially delivering stand-up.

Snubbed:
Doris: What, Will but no Grace? (Not personally invested, but for parity’s sake.) Also surprised by the absence of perennial Emmy winner JLD as well as the last 3 years’ winners: Tracee Ellis Ross for Black-ish, Rachel Bloom for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Gina Rodriguez for Jane the Virgin. Oh, and I love Ellie Kemper on Kimmy Schmidt, but I don’t know if this season is eligible and I’m too lazy to look into it.
Alicia: America Ferrera for Superstore! I love that show.

Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
"Big Little Lies"
"Fargo"
"Feud: Bette and Joan"
"The Sinner"
"Top of the Lake: China Girl"

Will Win:
Doris: Big Little Lies. Next.
Alicia: Yup.

Should Win:
Doris: Based on the hype, Big Little Lies.
Alicia: I read the plot synopsis for Big Little Lies and it sounds like rich white people problems.

Snubbed:
Doris: Maybe Twin Peaks, but honestly I’m happy to see women dominate this category.
Alicia: If Black Mirror was eligible here, then definitely Black Mirror.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Robert De Niro, "The Wizard of Lies"
Jude Law, "The Young Pope"
Kyle MacLachlan, "Twin Peaks"
Ewan McGregor, "Fargo"
Geoffrey Rush, "Genius"

Will Win:
Doris: Could be anyone. I’m going with Robert De Niro since he’s the oldest at 74.
Alicia: Ewan McGregor, because he played 2 people on Fargo.
Kristy: Kyle MacLachlan.  Maybe I’m stumping too hard for well-received revivals but whatever.  

Should Win:
Doris: I have no. opinion.
Alicia: I mean, Geoffrey Rush is apparently a genius.

Snubbed:
Doris: Who knows.
Alicia: Who cares.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Jessica Biel, "The Sinner"
Nicole Kidman, "Big Little Lies"
Jessica Lange, "Feud: Bette and Joan"
Susan Sarandon, "Feud: Bette and Joan"
Reese Witherspoon, "Big Little Lies"

Will Win:
Doris: Emmy winner Nicole Kidman.
Alicia: I’m gonna say Reese just to be different.
Kristy: Kidman.

Should Win:
Doris: Aside from Jessica Biel, these are all heavyweights in the industry. All are good.
Alicia: Nicole Kidman gave a great speech at the Emmys, so I think she should get another 10 minutes.

Snubbed:
Doris: I was going to say Shailene Woodley but I see she’s considered a Supporting Actress, so idk.
Alicia: No idea.
Kristy: Were there any other actresses in limited series this year?

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Alfred Molina, "Feud"
Alexander Skarsgard, "Big Little Lies"
David Thewlis, "Fargo"
David Harbour, "Stranger Things"
Christian Slater, "Mr. Robot"

Will Win:
Doris: Christian Slater won previously for this role. I’ll say him again.
Alicia: David Harbour. People love their Stranger Things.
Kristy: Alfred Molina.   Why not.  

Should Win:
Doris: David Thewlis for no other reason than the fact that he’s Lupin.
Alicia: David Thewlis for ruining the third act of Wonder Woman.

Snubbed:
Doris: Literally, I can pick any dude on TV? This is such a weird category. I’ll say Tituss on Kimmy Schmidt.
Alicia: Ted Danson. I just watched him on The Good Place and he’s unexpected and fantastic. Also, he’s 70 years old but looks fantastic.
Kristy: Andre Braugher. I love him in Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Laura Dern, "Big Little Lies"
Ann Dowd, "The Handmaid's Tale"
Chrissy Metz, "This is Us"
Michelle Pfeiffer, "The Wizard of Lies"
Shailene Woodley, "Big Little Lies"

Will Win:
Doris: Emmy winner Ann Dowd.
Alicia: Laura Dern. She had cool hair in Star Wars. Also, she’s Dr. Sattler in Jurassic Park, and I will always love her for that.

Should Win:
Doris: All seem fine. Probs Laura Dern or Ann Dowd.
Alicia: Yeah, all seem worthy.

Snubbed:
Doris: There are so many amazing women on TV that I cannot handle this pressure right now. You would think that two-time Emmy winner Kate McKinnon would be a shoo-in but the Globes don’t seem to like SNL as much as the Emmys do. Also the Italian actress Alessandra Mastronardi was fantastic on Master of None.
Alicia: This is such a strange category. It could be like 90% of actresses on TV, but I can’t think of a single one.


No comments:

Post a Comment