Thursday, January 4, 2018

Saurus's 2017 Movie Roundup

These are the new movies I watched in 2017. I know, I'm missing tons including Lady Bird, Coco, Call Me By Your Name, Get Out, and even Beauty and the Beast, but... what can you do. Let me live.

Straight-Up Bad
14. Most Beautiful Island
This is one of the 8 films I watched over a 2-day period at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, AL. I cannot express to you all how much I disliked this movie, from its excessively bright/hyper-real lighting (I don't know what the technical term for this is called), mediocre acting, and dumb climax. I am not exaggerating when I say I sat in the theater thinking about how much I hated it the entire time. #sorrynotsorry

13. A Ghost Story
Okay, I know as well as anyone that Casey Affleck is a problematic person. Nonetheless, I thought the premise of this movie was interesting and was eager to see it at Sidewalk. Welp, I got my fair punishment. The pacing was mind-numbingly slow and overall the movie was unbelievably pretentious and tedious. I should have boycotted it from the start for its casting and saved myself from staring at Rooney Mara eating a pie for 10 min. tl;dr: UGH.

Disappointing
12. The Beguiled
Pretty white people. Female "empowerment" (not so much). Sofia Coppola at the helm. What could go wrong? Well, I'm not really sure, but suffice it to say something did. I would've been annoyed had I paid more than $1.64 for this movie ticket at a run-down discount theater nearby - a rather unpleasant viewing experience that admittedly may have colored my perception of this movie.

11. Menashe
Another one of the 8 Sidewalk films. I was really excited to see this depiction of Brooklyn's ultra-orthodox Hasidic Jewish community given the moving trailer. Maybe I hyped it for myself too much but I found this film a bit on the dreary side. Sorry to contribute to Menashe's schlimazel status given this lame rating...

Okay, I Guess
10. Axolotl Overkill
Yet another Sidewalk film. I walked into this one because the theater was at a convenient location, tbh. The movie was sort of enjoyable at the time but when I think about it, I don't really remember, understand, or care what happened.

9. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Chris Pratt hijinks. But more importantly, the return of Baby Groot! I live and breathe for Baby Groot (beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, yada yada).
Surprisingly Good
8. Forever ‘B’
I am notorious for hating popular forms of media like documentaries, podcasts, etc. (I'm #theworst). Yet somehow I really enjoyed this true crime documentary telling the crazy story of a sociopathic pedophile who manipulated his friends/neighbors and kidnapped and brainwashed their preteen daughter. Watching this in a small audience at Sidewalk was particularly amusing, given the collective audience reaction (read: major groans) to some of the parents' more questionable actions.

7. Baby Driver
This was the first movie I ever sneaked into, after paying for #1 on my list! Alicia used to tell me how she'd do it all the time, so I guess I was inspired by her teen con days to sneak into a teen con movie (there is simply no way Ansel Elgort is 23). Anyhow, this was just a fun movie with a thumping soundtrack. Cheap thrills, y'all.

6. Thirst Street
Here's another with an entertaining Sidewalk audience reaction - everyone's laughter at the protagonist's melodramatic, lovestruck antics made the movie for me.

Excellent
5. Wonder Woman
Wonder Woman is the superhero we need but definitely do not deserve. Gal Gadot is also an amazing mortal.

4. Spider-Man: Homecoming
I told my Marvel-obsessed friend that I would come see this movie with him if it meant I didn't have to go see the new Thor (which I assumed would be stupid like its predecessors, although yes, I've heard it's "good"). I got friend cred but little did he know that I wanted to see this movie anyway, what with its diverse cast of kids, including my old fave Tony Revolori. Months later I am still reblogging movie gifs and shipping Tom/Zendaya.

3. Big Bear
Perhaps the most "mainstream" movie I saw at Sidewalk, this comedy featuring Adam Brody (another old fave) ended up being a very funny crowd pleaser that I would definitely be up for watching again.

2. Beach Rats
Harris Dickinson is a revelation (that is a thing that people say, I think) in this well-acted, beautifully shot film, the last of the Sidewalk bunch. I genuinely cannot believe he is British and not a aimless boy from Brooklyn alternately exploring and denying his sexuality.

1. The Big Sick
I'm biased of course, since I love a good rom-com and am desperate for more stories that do not involve white bread falling in love with mayonnaise. But this one is especially clever and funny -- what was the last movie you saw with a good 9/11 joke? If you haven't seen this yet, it's free if you have Amazon Prime, so watch it now and thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment