Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Blackout Tuesday

blacklivesmatter.com
I was going to post something entirely different today, just something fun and light I’d written a while ago as mentioned in my post yesterday. But based on conversations I've had with various people today, it feels especially wrong to not acknowledge the very emotionally exhausting current events of the last week or so. We’ve only just started figuring out how to cope effectively with the COVID-19 pandemic and then of course, we’re being reminded that we’ve been living in a racism pandemic for a long time now. 

A question I’ve been grappling with today is, what does it mean to be a good ally? Posting some black squares on social media is not it. Solidarity and awareness are great, of course, but the gesture feels empty, like virtue signaling. I don’t have anything intelligent to contribute to the discourse, so I'll leave you with this 2016 piece by Roxane Gay that argues that "allyship" is not enough.

Here’s to looking inward and continuing the journeys of bettering ourselves and our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment