Monday, June 8, 2020

Stream This Non-Pixar Content and Sob With Me

Photo source

Crying during Pixar movies is for amateurs (we all know that they’re designed to make us cry). In my wizened old age of mid-20s-something, I’ve become a person who can cry over any media: a commercial, a pop song, a 100-word Tiny Love Story in the New York Times (story #3 in this link), etc. When I complain about this to friends, they usually tell me that it’s a good thing to feel so many feelings, but... I’m not so sure about that. So that you too can feel how I feel, here are 10 non-Pixar recs that have made me cry (often despite not being inherently sad) and are currently available on streaming, ranked by quantity of (my) tears. Some of these I’ve already referenced in previous posts but hey, I stand by my picks:


You may start to feel something in the back of your eyes: 

  1. RBG (doc on Hulu): I don’t think I actually cried while watching this, but I know I felt very emotional about how supportive RBG’s late husband Marty was of her/her career. Exhibit A: The bottom of this article has a letter that he wrote to her at the end of his life.


You may tear up a bit (or not cry at all if you are normal unlike me): 

  1. Emma (1996; Hulu): A few months back I cried when Emma and Mr. Knightley finally get together at the end. I’d never cried at this before so I don’t really know what happened.

  2. Always Be My Maybe (Netflix): I cried a bit when Marcus (Randall Park) declared his love for Sasha (Ali Wong) at the end (ok, this is a rom-com, barely a spoiler) and again when Sasha shows Marcus her new NYC restaurant and menu (perhaps a light spoiler). 

  3. The Parent Trap (1998; Disney+): Ok, this is an extremely fun, heartwarming, and underrated movie with a phenomenal soundtrack that I will go to battle for. I tear up during all of the beautiful family scenes.


You may experience moderate crying in some key scenes: 

  1. Fleabag (S2 of TV series on Amazon Prime): I didn’t cry until the last scene of the last episode when some statements of love are uttered. Here’s a clip.

  2. Normal People (Hulu mini-series) I don’t think I cried too heavily, but I did cry on and off when Connell was crying in various episodes.

  3. The Farewell (Prime): As noted in my 2019 movie roundup, crying probably depends on whether you’ve had the niche experience of saying goodbye to your grandparents who live in a foreign country and not knowing if/when you’ll see them again.


You should get a box of tissues in preparation for some snot-filled sobbing: 

  1. The Little Prince (Netflix): This is an animated adaptation of the 1943 book, using a story-within-a-story framework and two types of animation (very cool imo). Towards the end of the movie I had to pause it because I was crying so much.

  2. Looking For Alaska (Hulu miniseries): As mentioned in a previous post, the last two episodes had me sobbing pretty much continuously. If you’ve read the book by John Green or been on Tumblr ever you should know why.


You should fill up a bottle of water to prevent dehydration from crying:

  1. Never Have I Ever (Netflix TV series, S1): I cried probably at least once per episode at all the dead dad scenes. What truly destroyed me was a fight between Devi and her mom at the end of the penultimate (9th) episode, at which point I had a minor breakdown and basically couldn’t stop crying throughout the 10th/final episode.


Happy crying!

Photo source

No comments:

Post a Comment