Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Women Film Directors You May Know, Pt. 1

I want to watch more movies directed by women and maybe you do too, so here we go. 


Some disclaimers: (1) This post (and Pt. 2) will prioritize American/Western directors because I’m American. (2) In the 2+ hours I spent doing research for this post (blame insomnia), I found so many friggin women! This is a good thing, obviously, but I can’t list every director ever. So I’m going to prioritize women who have directed *more than 1 movie that I’ve heard of*. Obviously this is subjective as hell and thus leads me to (3), I’ve inevitably omitted some important women including some personal faves (e.g., Lulu Wang) and acclaimed/prolific women I’m not familiar with that Google told me about (e.g., Claire Denis, Jane Campion). Don’t hate me.


You’ve probably seen at least 3 of her movies: 

Photo credit: LeftMiddleRight
  • Sofia Coppola:

    • I recommend: The Virgin Suicides (underrated), Lost in Translation (good but a bit overrated)

    • Skip: Marie Antoinette (pretty but bad), The Beguiled (also meh)

    • I have yet to watch: The Bling Ring, Somewhere

  • Nora Ephron

    • I highly recommend: You've Got Mail (one of my all-time faves), Sleepless in Seattle (iconic but not as good because the leads don’t even meet until the end)

    • If you’re bored, watch: Bewitched, Julie & Julia 

    • Fun fact: She also wrote When Harry Met Sally which is a classic, but this list isn't about screenwriting.

  • Anne Fletcher

    • I recommend: Step Up, 27 Dresses, and The Proposal, all of which you’ve almost definitely seen already 

    • I have yet to watch: The Guilt Trip, Hot Pursuit, or Dumplin'

    • Final thoughts: Why have I not seen press for this woman before?? I could have sworn I’d never heard of her.


You’ve probably seen at least 2 of her movies: 

Photo credit: Left, Middle, Right
  • Gurinder Chadha

    • I recommend: Bend It Like Beckham, Bride and Prejudice

    • This movie is hilarious but silly: Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging

    • I have yet to watch: Blinded by the Light

  • Greta Gerwig: 

    • Pretty much everyone who contributes to this blog is obsessed with Lady Bird and Little Women. Get on board.

  • Nancy Meyers

    • I highly recommend: The Parent Trap (one of my all-time faves), The Holiday (way more fun than it seems like it should be)

    • I have yet to watch: Something's Gotta Give, It's Complicated, The Intern, etc.


Stay tuned for Pt. 2, in which I list out a whole bunch more (diverse) directors you may have heard of…

No comments:

Post a Comment