Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Fantastic Tropes and Where to Find Them

These are some of my favorite tropes and examples of them in movies. Gotta give credit to the website TV Tropes for doing a lot of the legwork.


Here are 3 of my favorite tropes:


  1. Childhood Friends to Lovers: One of my favorite Tumblr text posts states: “i wish my life was a childhood sweethearts slowburn friends to lovers 200k fic”. Even though the “enemies to lovers” trope is far more common in popular media (à la Pride and Prejudice), I think we would all rather live the childhood friends to lovers experience (à la Emma), right? 

  • Best examples: 13 Going on 30, Always Be My Maybe, Forrest Gump

  • These arguably qualify: Moonlight, Spider-Man, Sweet Home Alabama


  1. Unlikely friends / Family of choice: In this trope, people who have no business being in the same room together end up being a chosen family. 

  • Best examples: The Breakfast Club, Sister Act, Zombieland, Guardians of the Galaxy (and probably more of the MCU but I haven’t seen any Avengers movies)

  • These arguably qualify: Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings 


  1. Women working hard montage: I like a good montage of women working hard to achieve their life/career goals. My favorite is of the “who needs men?” variety.

  • Best examples: Legally Blonde, Little Women, Brittany Runs A Marathon

  • These arguably qualify: Mulan, The Parent Trap 



As a bonus, here are three of my least favorite tropes: 


  1. Love triangle: It’s a tale as old as time and it’s tired. I don’t know about you but I’m over all the Team This Guy and Team That Guy talk.

  • Notable offenders: Too many to count but the recent biggies are Twilight and the Hunger Games. 
  1. Unnecessary makeover: Nerdy/weird girl gets a makeover (read: takes off her glasses); turns out she was beautiful all along.

  • Notable offenders: She’s All That, The Breakfast Club, The Princess Diaries
  • These arguably qualify: Grease, Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire

  1. The Chosen One: Only one person (usually a boy/man) can save the universe. The weight of the world is on this lone (wo)man’s shoulders. Sigh. As we all know, in reality no one can do anything meaningful alone. 

  • Notable offenders: Harry Potter, Star Wars, The Hunger Games

An extra special bonus, b/c I'm trying to add more visual aids to punch up these posts:
Photo Source

No comments:

Post a Comment