Thursday, June 11, 2020

Women Film Directors You May Know, Pt. 2

Welcome back! You’ve probably seen at least one of their movies:
Holy bejesus,
 this took me a long time to make.

  • Elizabeth Banks: Pitch Perfect 2, Charlie's Angels.

  • Kathryn Bigelow: Still the only woman to have won an Oscar for Best Director, currently. I haven’t seen The Hurt Locker or Zero Dark Thirty but maybe I should?

  • Niki Caro: Whale Rider, The Zookeeper's Wife, and the upcoming live-action Mulan! 

  • Ava DuVernay: I’ve only seen A Wrinkle In Time, which unfortunately was bad, but Selma and her various docs and series are highly acclaimed.

  • Nisha Ganatra: Late Night and the upcoming The High Note.

  • Debra Granik: I’m scared to watch J. Lawr skin a squirrel in Winter’s Bone, tbh. Leave No Trace has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

  • Catherine Hardwicke: Yes, she is responsible for Twilight, but also made other movies including Thirteen, Lords of Dogtown, and Miss You Already.

  • Leslye Headland: Sleeping with Other People was not bad and I could see myself watching Bachelorette someday on a flight.

  • Amy Heckerling: I cannot stress enough how much I enjoy Clueless. She also directed Fast Times at Ridgemont High, National Lampoon's European Vacation, and I Could Never Be Your Woman.

  • Marielle Heller: Can You Ever Forgive Me? and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

  • Patty Jenkins: Wonder Woman could have been a sexist disaster in some thoughtless dude’s hands. Patty did us right. She also made Monster in 2003.

  • Tamara Jenkins: I watched The Savages ages ago and want to watch Private Life.

  • Jennifer Kent: Between The Babadook and The Nightingale, she is doing the most.

  • Karyn Kusama: Jennifer's Body, The Invitation, and others.

  • Jennifer Lee: I wasn’t sure about adding her since she’s only co-directed Frozen franchise movies, but Frozen and Frozen II each made over a billion dollars so I think it’s all good.

  • Penny Marshall: Big and A League of Their Own, classics I have yet to see!

  • Rebecca Miller: Maggie’s Plan is on my to-watch list, but she has some other movies I’ve heard of (The Ballad of Jack and Rose, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee). 

  • Mira Nair: I've watched Monsoon Wedding based on a friend's rec but you're probably more familiar with The Namesake.

  • Kimberly Peirce: Boys Don’t Cry, Stop-Loss, and the 2013 Carrie remake.

  • Gina Prince-Bythewood: I haven't seen but have heard of Love & Basketball, The Secret Life of Bees, and Beyond the Lights.

  • Lynne Ramsay: We Need To Talk About Kevin and You Were Never Really Here both sound too intense for me, tbh, but good for her. 

  • Dee Rees: Probably best known for Mudbound. Her TV film Bessie was at the time the most watched HBO original film of all time, which is cool. 

  • Gillian Robespierre: Wrote/directed Obvious Child and Landline, both of which I enjoyed quite a bit.

  • Marjane Satrapi: She’s probably better known as a graphic novelist, but she directed the film adaptation of her graphic memoir Persepolis (which I highly recommend, fyi). She also directed a tiny Ryan Reynolds movie called The Voices which Amazon Prime kept trying to recommend to me a while back.

  • Lorene Scafaria: Hustlers depicted the impact of the 2008 recession on Wall Street bros better than just about any other movie. She also directed Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist and Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. 

  • Lone Scherfig: I really liked An Education; probably won’t see One Day because of Anne Hathway’s questionable British accent. 

  • Céline Sciamma: Girlhood and Portrait of A Lady On Fire are both on my list!

  • Lynn Shelton: RIP. Your Sister's Sister and Laggies were both lovely. I missed Sword of Trust at Sidewalk Film Festival last year.

  • Barbra Streisand: I didn't realize she directed Yentl, The Prince of Tides, and The Mirror Has Two Faces. What can't she do??

  • Sam Taylor-Johnson: Nowhere Boy and Fifty Shades of Grey. Yeah, at no point did I say I was listing out good movies, just ones I’d heard of.

  • Julie Taymor: I loved Across the Universe when it came out in high school. I’m curious about Frida (2002).

  • Nora Twomey: The Secret of Kells and The Breadwinner have such different settings that I didn't realize they were made by the same studio, much less by the same director.

  • Agnes Varda: I’ve only seen her doc Faces Places, which is a delight. But she’s famous for French films like Cléo from 5 to 7 (1961). 

  • Lana & Lilly Wachowski: I actually haven’t seen anything they’ve made, but we all know about The Matrix series. I should correct this knowledge gap.

  • Chloe Zhao: I don’t know why I know about The Rider but I do. Next up for her is The Eternals which everyone on Earth will watch (I don’t even like Marvel but I will too).


For more, I recommend this Twitter thread that lists out movies by streaming sites! It may not be currently accurate though given that streaming availability changes all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment