Thursday, June 18, 2020

Modern-Day Teen Adaptations of Literary Classics

Modern adaptations of classic literature are basically fanfics, if you think about it (#modernAU). They succeed because the story is familiar and the structure is sound, but the modern twist gives it new life. Although I love adaptations such as Bridget Jones’s Diary (based on Pride & Prejudice, of course), teen-centric adaptations are especially clever because really, what setting has more drama, farce, and tragedy than high school?


Here are some of my favorites

  1. Clueless (1995) - Emma, Jane Austen 

    • One of my all-time faves. I think Alicia Silverstone’s Cher perfectly exemplifies the spirit of Emma: confident and well-intentioned but sometimes insensitive due to her wealth, privilege, and popularity. 

  2. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) - The Taming of the Shrew, Shakespeare

    • Another one of my all-time faves. I’m not familiar with the play, unfortunately, but it’s been criticized as misogynistic (a lady is a “shrew” who has to be “tamed” by a man. Gee whiz.) I would argue that the movie gives a pretty good representation of “white girl” girl power, i.e., entry-level feminism.

  3. She’s The Man (2006) - Twelfth Night, Shakespeare

    • Very funny, shockingly underrated movie that I almost forgot about when making this list. I also haven’t read or watched this play (I need to take Remedial Shakespeare 101) but the plot is a bit convoluted. The comedy in the movie is more physical than cerebral but hey, it’s a fun time with a young Channing Tatum.

  4. She’s All That (1999) - Pygmalion, George Bernard Shaw (aka My Fair Lady)

    • Popular jock Freddie Prinze Jr. accepts a bet to turn dorky art student Rachael Leigh Cook into the next Prom Queen. Yes, I rightly criticized it for its unnecessary makeover, but I still find it entertaining.


On-the-fence mentions

  • Romeo + Juliet (1996): This retains the original Shakespearean dialogue so it doesn’t feel very modern.

  • Easy A (2010): This is less adaptation and more explicit reference to The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, if I recall correctly. 


Problematic mentions:

  • Cruel Intentions (1999) - Les Liaisons dangereuses, Pierre Choderlos de Laclos

    • This movie did not age well, tbh: a lot of problematic sexual manipulation.

  • Sierra Burgess Is A Loser (2018) - Cyrano de Bergerac, Edmond Rostand

    • Although Cyrano is inherently deceptive, the non-consensual elements of the love story are extra problematic and have been correctly criticized. I wouldn’t recommend this movie for that reason.

  • The Half Of It (2020) - also Cyrano de Bergerac

    • Not nearly as problematic as the former but the basic Cyrano premise is still not ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment